- 1.5 cup cracked red lentils Washed
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups of diced onions
- 1 tbsp of chopped coriander
- 2 tsp of ground cumin
- ½ cup of potatoes (diced small –Optional)
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 lemon( juiced)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes-optional
- 1 tbsp salt
- Wash red lentils and set aside
- Fry the onions in the ½ cup of Olive Oil until golden to dark brown in color. Add the chopped potato and stir for 5 minutes on medium heat. Put in black pepper, red pepper flakes and salt and cumin and the wash red lentils and mix well.
- Add 8 cups of water to the lentil mix, Bring to a boil and let cook on medium heat for 30 minutes or till is has a thick, creamy consistency. Add the Lemon juice and the chopped coriander set aside to cool before serving.
- Enjoy with as is or with oven roasted pita bread. (Coarsely tear bread into bite size pieces, sprinkle with olive oil and toast in the oven until golden). Sprinkle on top of soup.