- 1 ½ cups brown small lentils (washed)
- 1 cup cracked wheat
- 3 large onions chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 6 cups of water for boiling
- 1/12 cups of water for cooking
- ½ cup of water
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Place lentils on a tray and pick through them to make sure no rocks or other debris is present. In a large pot add 6 cups of water and the lentils and bring to a boil for 30 minutes then pour out into a colander and rise with water, set aside.
- In the same pot add olive oil and onions and sauté until dark golden brown ( be careful not to burn them). Once they reach that color add ½ cup of water and stir until is a pasty consistently.
- Add the rinsed lentils with the cracked wheat, with cooking water, salt and pepper and mix thoroughly.
- Bring to a boil, then let simmer for 10 minutes or water is absorbed.
- Remove from pot into a serving dish and serve hot or cold with Veggie salad-see salads to make ( OPTIONAL- you can slice an onion into thin wedges and caramelize until golden brown and place on top of finished dish as a garnish.