- 1 cup of unsalted cashews finely chopped
- 2 cups of walnuts finely chopped
- 1 cup of unsalted pistachio finely chopped
- ½ cup of white sugar
- 1 pound of unsalted butter melted
- ½ tsp of cinnamon-optional
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- 1 pack of fillo sheets
- 1 ½ cups of honey
- 3 cups of sugar
- 1 ½ cups of water
In a saucepan mix and bring all ingredients to a light boil for 20 minutes
- To make the filling, in a bowl combine and mix cashews, pistachios , walnuts, cinnamon , cardamom and sugar in a bowl Set aside.
- Paint a 9″X13″ baking dish with a layer of the melted butter and lay one fillo sheet flat in the dish, cut excess fillo and repeat this for 12-15 times using the same method.
- Spread the filling on the Fillo sheets, then gently press the filling while smoothing it down.
- Next, lay the remaining of the sheets 12-15 layers on top and butter between each layer. ( using extra fillo and butter if required)
- Gently brush the top of the remaining butter. Using a sharp knife cut in desired shape ( I cut into 6 equal squares and then each square in half creating a rectangle shape.
- Bake in 360 degree oven for about 25-30 minutes, or until the surface turns golden brown color.
Remove from oven and gently pour syrup over the baklava then let cool to room temperature before serving.