- 3 cups fine somalina
- 1 cup of plain yogurt
- ½ cup of sugar
- ½ cup of unsweetened coconut
- ½ cup of butter ( melted)
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1/4 tsp of baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tlsp of orange blossom water
- 1 tbsp of tahini paste
- ¼ cup of blanched whole almonds
Syrup for Squares
- 3 cups sugar –
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 tbsp of rose water
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- SYRUP: In a sauce pan mix all ingredients together to dissolve sugar. Bring to boil over medium heat then simmer for 10 minutes, then turn heat to low and keep warm.
- Grease a large ( mine is 35cm x 20cm) inch glass tray with tbsp of tahini.
- SQUARES: mix ( somalina, baking powder, baking soda, salt then add yogurt, coconut, butter, and blossom water) until well blended. . Pour the mixture into tray and spread evenly.
- With a butter knife lightly mark the batter into squares then place an almond in each square.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes or until gold brown. Remove and cut square where it was marked.
- Pour the remaining syrup over the squares and set aside for 1-2 hours to cook and absorb the syrup.