- 3 cups #1 dark cracked wheat
- 1 medium white onion, finely graded
- 2-3 teaspoon salt (as desired)
- 2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of all spice
- 3 tablespoon of ground cumin
- 8 medium potatoes
- ½ cup of olive oil
- 5 cups of hot water
- 3-4 tablespoon of olive oil for top.
- 3 large onions, chopped
- ¾ cup chopped almonds
- ¾ cup pine nuts
- ¼ cup ground sumac
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- Peel and cut potatoes in half, then wash and cook the potatoes until ready to be mashed.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl add (washed and drain cracked wheat, salt, black pepper, all spice, and cumin), mix well and then add hot water and soak for at least 5 minutes.
- Once the mixture is soaked add the olive oil and grated onion. With two hands take the mixture and mix between your palms until you get a smooth mixture (roughly 5 minutes).
- Drain water from potatoes and add to the mixture then mash altogether with a potato masher until everything is mix well. Taste and add extra seasoning for your liking.
- Meanwhile in frying pan, fry the 3 chopped onions until golden brown and, then, add the chopped almonds and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Place in a plate and set aside. In the same pan, toast the pine nuts until light golden brown, immediately, remove from heat and place over the onion mixture and mix all together.
- Grease baking tray with olive oil. Divide potato and crack wheat mixture into two portions; flatten half of the potatoes in the tray. Cover it with filling mixture (onions, pine nuts and almonds), and, then sprinkle the sumac powder over the filling mixture.
- Flatten the other half of the potato and creaked wheat on top. Score in diamond or square shape design through the top.
- Brush the top with olive oil (3-4 tablespoons)
- Bake in 400 degrees oven until brown (30-40) mintues. When cool, cut in diamond or square shape pieces to serve.
- serve warm or cold with side salad or my favorite cucumber and yogurt salad.