Lebanese Beef Makloubi
For step # 1
- 21/2-lbs of veal large chunks
- 3-table spoons of olive oil
- 1-large onion ( peeled and cut in half)
- 1-teaspoon cinnamon
- 2-cinnamon sticks
- 1-teaspoon nutmeg
- 1-teaspoon all spice
- 1-teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 -teaspoon of red pepper flack
- 2-bay leafs
- 8 -cups of water
- 2-large tomatoes, cut into circles
- 1-large eggplant, cut into circle shapes and fried
- ½ pound of cauliflower, cut into bite size and fried
- 3 cups of rice ( your choice, I used Basmati)
- 1-2 tablespoon of Salt ( add as you desire or less)
- 3- tablespoons of ghee
- 1-cup of pine nuts ( fried in Oil until golden brown)
- 1 cup of blanched almonds ( fired in oil until golden brown)
- ½ cup of oil for brown pine nuts and almonds
- Heat olive oil in a deep pot over medium-high heat and sauté veal meat and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side. Add water, onion, cinnamon powder, and sticks, nutmeg, all spice, black pepper, red pepper flack and bay leafs to the pot and cook again for 2 hours on medium heat or until meat is very tender. Leave in stock once done ( taste stock for your liking of seasoning)
- In a large pot, melt the ghee and turn heat to low.
- Remove meat from stock and shred with a fork, then evenly place as your 1st layer ( careful HOT)
- Place tomato as 2nd layer into the pot then add eggplant as 3rd layer after that add the cauliflower.
- Place the rice over the layers and spread evenly.
- Strain the stock and carefully pour 6 CUPS over the rice
- Cover the pot and place it over high heat until the water start to boil then reduce the heat to medium and keep until the Maklouba is cooked and no more water in pot. (NEVER stir rice)
- Prepare flat serving plate and quickly flip the pot over the plate then hit the pot with hand from different places and gently lift it up.
- Serve and enjoy Makloubi with your favorite side dish.
Mozzarella Chicken Escalope
- 4-6 small chicken breasts
- 1 cup of seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of Lemon zest
- 50 g mozzarella cheese, shredded finely
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of black pepper
- ½ tsp of paprika
- 2 eggs
- 1 cups vegetable oil for frying
Wash and dry chicken breast. In a flat dish place bread crumbs with coriander, lemon zest , salt, black pepper, paprika and mozzarella and mix well. In a separate bowl, beat eggs. Dip chicken breast in eggs then in coating mixture and place them on a plate
Heat oil in a skillet or pan to medium heat, fry chicken escalope for 4-5 minutes on each side until golden brown. ( depending of size of chicken breast).
Serve with salad, mashed potato or French fries
Spicy Chicken Curry
- 3 medium size chicken breast ( cut into desired shape)
- 3 meduim potatoes ( cut into cubes)
- 1 red pepper sliced
- 1 ½ cups of green peas
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cups of coconut milk
- 4 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoons fresh ginger (grated)
- ½ cup of boiled then mashed yams ( substitute for sweet potato or yellow squash)
- 2 large tablespoon of red curry paste ( more or less for desired taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of salt
In a wok or pot heat oil and add chicken, cook well and set aside.
In the same pan add onion slices and fry on medium heat for 2 minutes or until they become light golden in color.
Add garlic, ginger, curry paste, ground coriander, curry powder, tomato paste, black pepper, salt mashed yams and bay leaf then mix well. Then add coconut milk and water and simmer on medium heat for 5 minutes.
Add the cooked chicken, potato’s and green peas to the pot. Stir and simmer for another 20 minutes or until potatoes are well cooked and sauce is slightly thickened.
Serve alongside your favorite rice.