<-click to zoom
- 3 medium size eggplant
- Juice of one large lemon (1/4 cup fresh lemon juice)
- ½ cup tahini
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Wash and place whole eggplant on a sheet pan and roast at 400 for 25-30 minutes or until the eggplant is very soft. Allow the eggplant to cool to room temperature. TIP—roasting the eggplant whole on the BBQ for 15-20 on medium heat will give the final dish a smoky taste, and enhances the taste of the eggplant.
- Remove and cool for 10 minutes. Peel the skin and remove the flesh of the eggplant with a spoon and discard the skins. Place the flesh of the eggplant in a colander to drain for 5-10 minutes.
- Place the drained eggplant in a food processor along with the lemon juice, tahini, garlic, salt and olive oil. Puree until the mixture is smooth or desired texture. Before serving refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh mint and olive oil. Serve with Pita bread or alongside nacho chips or vegetables as a dip.